The increased usage of internet services and smartphones has made social networking one of the most popular online activities. Social media enables users to connect, communicate and share information, photographs or videos with anyone across the globe. Some of the popular social media platforms are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn,WhatsApp, Snapchat, Tinder, Hike, WeChat, Tumblr etc.
The penetration of social media is continuously increasing worldwide. The tremendous growth in use of social media platforms has provided a fertile ground to cyber criminals to engage in illegal activities.
Important Steps To Follow:
- Do not accept friend requests from strangers on social networking sites.
- Don’t trust online users, unless you know and can trust them in real life.
- Do not share your personal information such as address, phone number, date of birth etc. on social media. Identity thieves can easily access and use this information.
- Do not share your sensitive personal photographs and videos on social media.
- Share your photos and videos only with your trusted friends by selecting right privacy settings on social media.
- If you notice that a fake account has been created by using your personal information. Immediately inform the social media service provider
- Always use a strong password by using alphabets in upper case and lower case, numbers and special characters.
- Do not share your vacations, travel plans etc.
- Do not allow social networking sites to scan your email account to look for your friends. They might end spam mails to them without your consent or knowledge.
- Always keep location services turned off on your devices unless necessary.
- Do not announce your vacations, travel plans etc. on social media. Criminals can use it as an opportunity for theft etc.
- When chatting with someone online. And you feel suspicious about your chat partner, try asking some unrelated scientific or mathematical questions. If it does not answer or acknowledge the question, it may mean that you are chatting with an automated computer bot.
- Do not use public computer/ cyber cafe to access social networking websites, it may be may be infected/ installed with a key logger application which will capture your keystrokes including the login credentials.
- Many social networking sites prompt you to download third-party applications that lets you access more pages. Do not download unverified third-party applications without doing research about its safety.
- Don’t hesitate to report, if someone is posting offensive and abusive content.
- Do not share or forward unverified posts/ news. These may contain fake news or contain sensitive information which may mislead people.
Social Media Reporting
Government of India facilitates victims/complainants to report all types of cybercrime complaints online. Complaints reported National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal are dealt by respective police authorities of States/ UTs based on the information provided by the complainants.
If you want to report something other than Cybercrime cases or in case of an emergency please contact your local police by dialing 100.
Click here for National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal. You can also contact using their twitter account @CyberDost.