Ram Singh, Mukesh Singh, Vinay Sharma, Juvenile defendant (Minor), Pawan Gupta and Akshay Thakur are the convicts in Nirbhaya Case.
- Incident happened on 16 December 2012 Night.
- Police arrested few suspects within 24 hours.
- Police then traced the bus using CCTV footage on 17 December 2012.
- The bus driver Ram Singh arrested on 17 December 2012.
- Mukesh Sign (brother of Ram Singh) arrested and brought to Delhi on 18 December 2012 from Rajasthan.
- Vinay Sharma – arrested on 18 December 2012. He was an assistant in gym.
- 17 year old minor – arrested in Delhi on 21 December 2012.
- Pawan Gupta – arrested on 18 December 2012. He was a fruit seller.
- Unemployed Akshay Thakur – arrested in Aurangabad on 21 December 2012.
- On 2 January 2013 – inauguration of fast track court.
- On 3 January 2013 police filed charge sheet.
- Minor convict taken under Juvenile Act. His case went on till 19 August 2013. He was sentenced for 3 years. He got released on 20 December 2015.
- Ram Singh died on 13 March 2013 in Tihar Jail.
- Court has found the four men guilty on 10 September 2013.
- Four adults sentenced to death on 13 September 2013.
Convicts Attempts To Live
Mukesh Singh, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Thakur were sentenced to death by hanging on 10 September 2013. It took nearly 8 months for this verdict. All the four have started to appeal in higher courts to delay the process.
- On 13 March 2014 High Court said that there will be no change in death sentence. Then they appealed to Supreme Court.
- On 15 March 2014 Supreme Court stayed execution and allowed Mukesh Singh and Pawan Gupta to appeal.
- Vinay Sharma & Akshay Thakur asked the Supreme Court to give stay on their execution on 2 June 2014.
- On 14 July Supreme Court stayed execution of Vinay Sharma & Akshay Thakur.
No Progress – 3 Years
- On 5 May 2017 the Supreme Court rejected the convicts appeal and upheld the death sentence.
- Convicts planned for review petition.
- After one year on 9 July 2018 rejected review petition of Mukesh Singh, Pawan Gupta & Vinay Sharma.
- On 29 October 2019 Tihar Jail gave seven days to convicts to file mercy petition.
- In November 2019 the Supreme Court rejects review petition of Akshay Thakur for mercy.
- On 7 January 2020 the Delhi High Court issued death warrant for all four. The execution date was 22 January 2020.
- Mukesh Singh filed a mercy plea. Delhi government sent it to LG – Lieutenant Governor. He then forwarded to Home Ministry. They sent it to the President.
- On 17 January 2020, the President of India has rejected the mercy plea.
- On 17 January 2020, the Delhi High Court issued death warrant again with a new date – 1 February 2020.
- Pawan Gupta appealed to the Supreme Court on 17 January 2020 that he was a Juvenile during the crime in 2012.
- On 20 January 2020 the Supreme Court rejects Pawan Gupta’s plea.
- Mukesh Singh on 25 January 2020 moved to Supreme Court on rejected of mercy plea.
- On 31 January 2020 the Supreme Court dismisses Pawan Gupta’s plea to review its order. Delhi court stayed the execution.
- On 17 February 2020 Delhi Court has issued the third death warrant and with new date – 3 March 2020.
- Again Delhi Court gave fourth death warrant with new date as 20 March 2020.
Justice in Nirbhaya Case
After many pleas & appeals from convicts and their family members the four were hanged on 20 March 2020.
The Daughter of India can now rest in peace. This case moved the Governments to be strict against convicts.
Nirbhaya incident happened on 16 December 2012 Night, the convicts were hanged on 20 March 2020. Few police men didn’t react to some of the incidents happened before the Nirbhaya’s incident. If acted Nirbhaya incident might have been avoided. But still police have worked very hard in catching the culprits quickly.
Salute to the Indians who came on to the roads and many expressed their views on social platforms which triggered for the Government to make necessary changes in the Law & to create new fast track courts. Media played a very big role in showing the impact of the incident on common people.
Coronavirus updates – click here