Google Authenticator app is used as an additional layer of security. Along with password of the account, users can add Authenticator app codes for logging into the account.
Latest Codes Transfer Feature
With app version 5.1 Google has enabled users to transfer their codes from old phone to new device. Google has made several explicit design decisions to minimize the attack surface while increasing the overall usability of the app.
- Google ensured that no data is sent to Google’s servers during the transfer. Communication is directly between your two devices. Your 2SV secrets can’t be accessed without having physical access to your phone and the ability to unlock it.
- They have implemented a variety of alerting mechanisms and in-app logs to make sure users are aware when the transfer function has been used.
How To Transfer Codes?
To use Google Authenticator on your Android device, you’ll need a device with Android version 4.4 and up, and 2-Step Verification turned on ( Navigate to Your Account > Security > Signing in > 2-step verification).
Set up the app
- Download Google Authenticator app from play store.
- Login into your account using a PC or Laptop. Go to Your Account > Security > Signing in > 2-step verification.
- Under “Add more second steps to verify it’s you,” go to the “Authenticator app” section, and tap Set up.
- Follow the steps on the screen.
- To make sure it works, get a 6-digit code from your Authenticator app.
- Enter the code and tap Verify.
- If your code is correct, you’ll see a confirmation.
- If your code is incorrect, try again.
Transfer To New Phone
If you change to a different Android phone, you can move your existing Authenticator codes from your old phone to a new one.
What you’ll need.
- Your old Android phone with Google Authenticator codes and the latest version of the Google Authenticator app installed.
- Your new Android phone.
- An active internet connection.
- Install latest version of Google Authenticator on your new device.
- Open the app and at bottom select “Import existing accounts?”.
- Open the app on your old phone and create a QR code. To create AR Code navigate to More (three dots) > Transfer Accounts > Export accounts. Select the desired account and tap Next.
- Now open Scan QR code on your new device. Scan the code from old phone.
- You will receive a prompt once the transfer is complete.